The restaurant industry posted it’s gain in RPI in 3 months in July at 102.7. This was the 29th consecutive month that the index stood above 100.
The Current Situation Index saw the largest gain since December 2014 posting a 103.7. This marks the 17th consecutive month above 100 signaling expansion in the market.
July represented the 33rd consecutive month above 100 for the Expectations Index clocking in at 101.7. This tells us that operators are generally optimistic about the months ahead.
Here’s a video summary of the Restaurant Performance Index report:
A nice positive article from FSR Magazine to start off 2015 as it relates to a growth in sales for chain restaurants. Here are a couple of the highlights:
- December recorded the best same store sales in three years at 3.1%
- The fourth quarter registered the best same-store sales results reported in six years of Black Box Intelligence tracking at 2.5%
- Aggregate growth of 0.8 percent for 2014 vs. -0.1 percent posted in 2013 by the industry
- Excluding this first quarter, same-store sales grew at an average 1.3 percent during the rest of the year
- Traffic grew by 0.6 percent during December, the best month for the industry since February 2012
- The increases in same-store traffic mirror the jumps in same-store sales, meaning that it was a true improvement in sales fueled by attracting more guests into restaurants, and not just the effect of rising prices
- The improvement in sales has been widespread across the country with all 11 regions posting positive same-store sales during the fourth quarter, which has not happened in any other quarter over the last three years
Read the full article here. Hopefully this is a sign of good things to come in 2015. Only time will tell for sure.